School District Liaison:
The Commission meets as necessary, usually the third Wednesday of every month at 6:30 pm in the Conference Room at the Municipal Building. The meetings are subject to change.
The mission of the Bethel Park’s Shade Tree Commission is to create and maintain a tree canopy that will enrich our community environmentally, aesthetically, and improve the quality of life in the Municipality.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Commission will have advisory capacity over all public trees on public property or in the public right-of-way.
- The Commission shall study the problems and determine the needs of the Municipality in connection with a tree planting, maintenance, and removal program. It will also assess the need for regulations pertaining to tree preservation, tree protection, and tree replacement specifications and guidelines for new construction and renovation projects.
- The Commission shall have the authority to formulate a Shade Tree Master Plan within the Shade Tree Districts. The Shade Tree Master Plan shall include an inventory of existing public trees and shall provide recommendations on the care, preservation, pruning, planting, replanting, and removal or disposition of trees in parks, along streets and on other public sites and shall specify the species of tree most suitable to be planted in these areas. Upon completion of the plan, the Commission will prepare and maintain a list containing the recommended and preferred type and kind of trees to be planted within public areas of the Shade Tree Districts.
- The Commission shall create and maintain an inventory of all existing public trees within the designated Shade Tree Districts. This inventory should include information on the locations, species, size, condition, and evaluation of existing public trees.
- The Commission may, at the request of the Municipal Council, assist with the solicitation of grants and contributions. All funds obtained shall be expended at the sole discretion of the Council.
- The Commission may, at the request of the Municipal Council, provide advice regarding land development plans or major capital renovation projects (such as roadway construction or repair or pipe installation or replacement, etc.) to determine the impact of such plans on public trees. The Commission may then make recommendations to the Municipality on the steps needed to mitigate any impacts. All materials will be reviewed in a timely fashion to coordinate with the Planning and Zoning Commission or Council meeting schedule.
- The Commission shall, when requested by the Council, consider, investigate, make findings, report and recommend upon any special matter or question coming within the scope of its work. The Commission shall study the problem and then recommend an appropriate course of action in connection with the Shade Tree Master Plan.
- The Commission may, upon authorization by the Municipal Council, retain the services of qualified professionals.
- The Commission shall assist the Council, as well as municipal employees and citizens, in the dissemination of news and information regarding the selection, planting, and maintenance of trees within the Shade Tree Districts. The Commission shall likewise make periodic recommendations as to relevant legislation or funding programs concerning issues relevant to the Commission.
- The Commission shall work to develop a network of volunteers within the Shade Tree Districts. The Commission shall also work in conjunction with civic and public interest groups devoted to tree care, tree preservation, and other environmental issues relevant to the scope of work of the Commission.
- The Commission may, upon authorization by the Municipal Council, retain the services of a certified arborist to conduct a survey of existing public trees to determine if any hazard to life or property exists or if that tree is vulnerable to any prevalent injurious disease, insect, or fungus.
Recommended Tree Planting List:
Tree Care Links: